- To identify and list out the different ways in which water can be stored at home.
- To list out the usage of water at homes and identifying where water can be reused.
- To identify the different utensils that are used for water consumption.
Picture reading and discussion—The students can be shown different pictures of water being used at home, such as while bathing, cooking, brushing, washing, etc. A discussion could be conducted with the the students about the water usage at homes.
- What do you see in the picture?
- Do you do this at home?
- How much water do you think is consumed for this purpose?
- Can we reduce our usage of water? How?
Activity suggestion—The students can be asked to make posters about the usage of water at home. The students could be divided into groups, and each group could pick one theme and start preparing posters on them; e.g., one group can work on water usage while cooking at home. They can create posters on the usage of water during different activities, such as washing, soaking, boiling, steaming, cleaning, etc., of all things that are used for cooking.
Videos for discussion
1) Save water for the future— It is a short animated clip about a village where water is wasted from the tap, and people do not turn the tap off.
- Why is the crow sad?
- Have you seen open taps anywhere? Or have you seen water spilling from taps or pipes?
- Is there any water leakage at your home/school?
2) An animated video about how and where water gets wasted at home
3) A short news clip showing women walking for miles to collect water.
- Where do you get water from for you home? (tracing the origin of water in school and home.)
- If you do not get water at your home, what will do? Where will you go?
- If you do not get water in your area, where will you go?
Stories for discussion
1) This story is about a small boy, Ramu, who is very conscious about using water. He always tells people not to waste water. His father gets irritated and shouts at him. But, Ramu finds a way to deal with his father and other people who waste water.
2) This story is about a village where there is no water. A group of people decide to go out and search for water. One of them finds an interesting answer to their problem and brings water to their village.
ஒரு ஊர்ல மழை பெய்யாதனால, ஒரு இளைஞர் கூட்டம் தண்ணிய தேடி போனது அதில் ஒருவன் மழை விதையை கொண்டு வருகிறான்.
Activity idea—Using the book Do, introduce simple Warli art to the students and make them draw the water map of their area using Warli art.
- Students should create stories using simple stick diagrams to show how water is used at home/school and identify possible alternatives for activities where water usage can be reduced and where water can be reused.
- Students should create posters to make others aware of how water can be saved at home and at school.
Term: Term 3